Low Carb Healthy Energy bars
I’m besotted with energy bars! But the problem with most “energy bars” is the high sugar and carbohydrate content. Energy bars are often made to sound much healthier then they actually are.
This recipe however contain no grains, they are perfect if you follow a low carb diet! Be aware though that honey is part of the ingredients, if you follow a very strict LCHF or ketogenic diet you should know that each bar contains around 10 g Carbohydrates.
They are the perfect lunch box treat and make a great Pre-workout snack.
Feel free to add a 1/4 cup of dried cranberries to the mixture (omit 1/2 of the coconut) and for an extra special treat melt a few blocks of 80% dark chocolate and drizzle over the bars.
Magda van Wyk
10 minPrep Time
38 minCook Time
48 minTotal Time
- 1 cup raw nuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Pouyoukas Omega seed mix (sesame, flax and pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (or unsweetened desiccated coconut)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- reheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a square pan with foil and spray with non stick spray or grease with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped nuts, seed mix and coconut. Add the salt and honey and stir to coat.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press out evenly with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake for 18 minutes, note that the bars will not be hard at this stage.
- Place the pan on a cooking rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Use the sides of the foil to lift the bars from the pan. Don’t try to remove them from the foil. Cut into 16 squares.
- Once cooled completely peel the foil of the bars. Wrap each bar individually with wax paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.